Fundamentals of Project Management
New Course for 2018
This course introduces you to the essential skills and processes which support successful project management in a way that allows you to apply them to your own context. You will learn the phases of a project, plan and manage key activities and events in projects and most of all apply your new knowledge to the ‘Eiffel Tower Challenge’.
This course is aimed at those that already or likely to become involved in projects. No prior knowledge is needed, but you must have an interest in the topic.
Knowledge without the knowhow is waste! You will be expected to put the theory into practice immediately. The challenge is to construct a building but more importantly, can you initiate, plan, execute and close a project whilst managing finances, deadlines, progress reporting and people issues together with random obstacles that may arise during the course.
The purpose of this challenge is to simulate the phases of delivering a project, and showcase the vital input a well trained Project Manager has on delivered success.
You will be able to grasp the fundamentals (remove the complexity) of project management and take away the following:
- Deliver projects on time, in full and on-budget
- Planning is critical, but only any good if it can be adapted to the situation
- Understanding of project lifecycle and how to use the framework to complete the project
- Key milestone and templates to use
- How to identify risk and manage when situations arise
- Importance of lessons learnt
- Working with people who have different skills, opinions or responsibilities
- Give you the time management, communication and team management skills, so you can play an active role in a project environment right away
- Use of online tools commonly used
- Open your mind on where project management could take your career
As a team, you will be placed in the challenging position of having to deliver a project during the course with all the ‘chaos’ and unintended consequences that happen during delivery. So it only leaves the following question . . . “Are you ready for the Eiffel Tower Challenge?”.
Structure of the Day
- 09.00 – 09.15: Introductions
- 09.15 – 09.30: Welcome to the ‘Eiffel Tower Challenge’
- 09.30 – 10.30: Theory and worksheets
- 10.30 – 10.45: Break
- 10.45 – 12.30: Eiffel Tower: Challenge
- 12.30 – 13.00: Lunch
- 13.00 – 15.00: Eiffel Tower: Challenge
- 15.00 – 15.15: Break
- 15.15 – 16.15: Eiffel Tower: Report out & lessons learnt
- 16.15 – 16.30: Eiffel Tower: Clean up
- 16.30 – 17.00: Learning objective review & Next steps
The following materials and online tools will be free for you to use within your business.
- Access to a range of FREE project management tools commonly used by project managers
- Core templates including project plan, gate review and closure documents
- Presentation slides