International Trade Operations and Procedures (ITOPS)
50% pre-approved funding available for the International Trade Operations and Procedures course for businesses based in the Sheffield City Region. For further information and eligibility criteria please contact the Membership Team at Sheffield Chamber on 0114 201 8888.
ITOPS is a recognised International Trade Qualification covering the main elements of import/export administration.
This practical and relevant qualification is designed to prove that candidates have the necessary skills to accurately operate the administration procedures in an international trade administration environment.
Successful candidates will be awarded the BCC Accredited ITOPS Qualification, learning how to avoid costly mistakes and improve their international trade procedures – previous delegates have saved their employers thousands of pounds. This course is suitable for anyone employed in an international trade environment – whether that of a manufacturer/supplier or freight forwarder.
The award covers the five main elements of export administration:
- Administration Procedures
- Export Documentation
- Customs and Excise and other legal requirements
- Export Payments
- Dispatch and Shipping
Delegates attend four formal training workshops – usually once a fortnight/every three weeks. A formal assessment takes place approximately one month after the tuition ends. The evidence is then Internally Verified by an experienced assessor at the Chamber who decides if the required standards have been met.
Candidates will have the possibility of airport visits, container ship visits and placement with a freight forwarder. Although optional, all are considered as very important in developing knowledge and skills.
Full Course Content
- Preparing for Export
- Incoterms® 2010
- The commodity code
- Proving origin – at export
- The Commercial documents
- Payment Considerations
- Moving goods – packing and marking considerations, cargo measuring, selection criteria for freight forwarders
- Airfreight, seafreight and road haulage considerations
- Transport documentation – airfreight security, SSNs and DGNs
- Customs’ and Legal – Intrastat, export entries, export licensing
- Incoterms – the current (2010) F terms
- Payment – cash with order considerations
- The importance of accurate cargo measurements
- Packing and marking considerations
- The Freight Forwarding Industry
- Moving Goods – freight accounting and freight charging, Insuring the cargo
- Transport documentation – the proof of export documents – bills of lading, certificates of shipment, CMR notes and airway bills
- Incoterms – the current C terms
- Finance – Claiming cargo insurance and documentary collections
- Customs’ and Legal – ISPM15, Pre-shipment inspection, proof of export required by HMRC
- Incoterms – the D terms
- Payment – Letters of Credit
- Customs’ and Legal Requirements– temporary import and export procedures
- import considerations, Paying duties and Duty deferment, Bonded facility
- Legally avoiding duty using I.P.R. O.P.R and ATA Carnets
The price includes training for four workshops, course folders and printed notes, full trainer support during the course of the programme, final assessment day, portfolio assessment and verification. Successful candidates also receive the BCC Foundation Award in International Trade.
2019-20 Workshop Dates
January Workshop Dates – 29/01/20, 11/02/20, 26/02/20 and 10/03/20
March Workshop Dates – 04/03/20, 25/03/20, 02/04/20 and 21/04/20