Jobs at the Chamber
Current vacancies at the Chamber
Finance Non-Executive Director
We are looking for a Finance Non-Executive Director to help build the strongest Chamber in the UK.
Do you believe Sheffield can be the best place to start, run and grow a successful and sustainable organisation?
Overly ambitious? Sheffield Chamber of Commerce thinks not. That is why we are on a mission to make it happen. Along the way we’re going to build the strongest Chamber of Commerce in the UK.
We can’t do this alone and need a big thinker, change maker and challenger to help us.
We’re looking for a Financial Non-Executive Director who is ACCA qualified or equivalent experience. We would love to hear from anyone who is experienced in finance and can use their financial background to strengthen Sheffield Chamber of Commerce board.
Commitment: 3-year term, 6 yearly board meetings, the review of 12 board papers and attendance at occasional additional meetings when a NED presence is required. Please see full details below.
What are we looking for?
You will be from the business community and willing to bring enthusiasm, and influence to support Sheffield Chamber of Commerce (SCCI) work and vision for the future. Previous board experience is essential, and this knowledge could have been gained by time spent on a Limited company board, as a charity trustee, school or HE institution governor or even club committee member.
The role requires someone with a passion for Sheffield, someone who can help shape SCCI into a Chamber of the Future and play a fundamental part in rewiring how the city’s business community works together. The board also benefits from outside contacts and opinions, so a good network of experienced connections would be preferred.
As a NED you will need to:
- Act as a critical friend to the board,
- bring an external, independent perspective to the Board,
- assist with strategy,
- help develop the business,
- help to manage risk.
As a NED you will also be expected to challenge and advise the SCCI’s senior team in line with our values and ambitions.
How will you benefit?
- The position offers a real opportunity to be involved in an organisation that has huge aspirations for its team, membership, and the city region; and you can part of this collaborative success.
- Becoming a NED for SCCI will broaden your experience of board dynamics, and specific training will be offered where available to help support you in the role.
- You will have the opportunity to help to mold the future of business in Sheffield and play a pivotal role in how SCCI supports the city’s dynamic business community.
- You will be able to develop your communication, negotiation and diplomacy skills in a board setting.
- You will expand your networks and grow your profile across all sectors within the SCR and beyond.
What is the level of commitment?
- A NED is appointed for a 3-year term, during this time they are expected to attend all board meetings when possible.
- The chamber issues a monthly board pack which NED’s are asked to review.
- Board meets every other month in person – 6 meetings per year.
- NED’s are at times asked to join Chamber Council meetings, to engage with and feedback to Council members.
- As a NED you will have the same level of legal responsibility as an Executive Director, it is important that this liability is understood and accepted.
- A broad understanding of SCCI operations and its wider Management team is expected. During an induction process you will be given the knowledge to understand the role and responsibilities of SCCI and meet the team.
- Throughout a term NED’s are expected to maintain some contact with the Senior Leadership team at SCCI; offering additional advice, feedback and support when needed.
We acknowledge that everyone brings a unique perspective and ideas.
We believe that a diverse workforce helps us to better understand our customers and the world around us and enables us to provide the best possible service to our members.
We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of their race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, or any other characteristic that makes them unique.
We believe in treating everyone with respect and dignity and will not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind.
SCCI full equity, diversity and inclusion statement can be found on our website.
If you are interested in the role, please contact SCCI Nominations Committee Chair, Grace Brierley (firstname.lastname@example.org). Briefly tell us (300 words) about you and your financial experience and why you are interested in joining the board. Or we welcome a short intro video if you prefer.
If you have any further questions regarding the position, please do not hesitate to contact Grace directly.