An Authorised Economic Operator (AEO) status is an ‘internationally recognised quality mark indicating that your role in the international supply chain is secure, and that your customs controls and procedures are efficient and compliant’.
Although currently not mandatory, businesses accredited with an AEO status, have a commercial advantage when importing and exporting. Those holding the status benefit from streamlined customs processes and fast-tracked shipments through border control. Indirectly, the status strengthens the business’s reputation as a safe and secure trading partner, giving them a competitive advantage.
Due to the changing face of international trade and World Customs Organisation (WCO) objectives, the requirement for businesses to hold an AEO status may significantly increase, as those holding it will, by default, receive priority clearance. Those not accredited will be subject to detrimental impacts on their customs related activity, both operationally and financially.
The benefits of AEO
- Reduced administration
- Movement of goods
- Improved security & safety
- Improved supply chain predictability and consistency
- Simplified Customs declarations and EIDR (Entry in Declarant’s Records)
- Transit simplifications
- Priority treatment of consignments if selected for control
- The option of a centralised clearance self-assessment
- Easier admittance to special procedures such as CSFP (Customs Freight Simplified Procedures), temporary storage and customs warehousing
- Duty deferment guarantee reduction and SIVA (Simplified Import VAT Accounting)
- Guarantee reductions or waivers
- Removal of previous sales provisions relating to valuations
How we can help
Successfully achieving an AEO status for a business can be a time consuming, challenging and daunting exercise. As the only Chamber of Commerce to be AEO accredited, we can help your business through every step of the process, from preparing and assessing if your business is ready to submit a formal application, to successfully achieving and maintaining the status.
We offer two tiers of service, outlined below.
For more information on any aspect of AEO, please contact our team on 0114 201 8888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.