BCC responds to a potential national lockdown
1st November 2020
Commenting on widespread media reports of a potential national lockdown in England starting as early as next week, BCC Director General Dr Adam Marshall said:
“Yet again anxious businesses have to wait and worry. If the Government is planning another national lockdown it must say so immediately, rather than allow business and market confidence to be further eroded by speculation.
“The media briefings have to stop. The Government needs to speak honestly with the nation, setting out a clear plan, the evidence for its actions, and significant increases in the support available for businesses and employees facing the hardship of no demand or the crushing blow of closure.”
Chambers of Commerce have been clear. Any restrictions must meet five business tests.
- EVIDENCE: Are the restrictions evidence-based and targeted effectively?
- CLARITY: Are the restrictions clear and do businesses have time to prepare?
- SUPPORT: Is support for businesses commensurate with the impact on them?
- TESTING: How will the time be used to fix the Test, Trace and Isolate system?
- EXIT STRATEGY: Is there a clear process for increasing and decreasing restrictions?