Do you have a passion for Sheffield?
30th June 2021
Sheffield Chamber of Commerce needs your help in leading the way in making Sheffield the best place in the UK to start, grow, and run a successful and sustainable business.
The Chamber is not a complicated organisation. It’s a membership organisation, with a full-time team committed to supporting its members. We have a Board that shapes our strategy. We also have the Chamber Council, made up of representatives from our membership.
The Chamber Council plays an integral role within the Chamber. And, we are now looking for more business leaders to join Council, starting in October 2021.
The role requires someone with a passion for Sheffield and a passion for the role business can play in strengthening the city. If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you.
What is Sheffield Chamber Council?
We are a team of committed people who represent SCCI members and Sheffield’s business community. We support the Board and Executives in shaping the future activities and policy of the Chamber. We play an active role in helping the Chamber to engage with key stakeholders and promote Sheffield. And, we are a critical friend, helping the Chamber to grow and succeed.
But, most of all the Council is a community of people who have generously chosen to give their time to make our city a better place to live and work.
The Council is made up of 30 members, who sit for a term of office of three years. Each year, to ensure rotation a number of Council members reach the end of their term.
This year we have approximately 13 spaces on Council for new and/or re-elected council members, this year is a great opportunity for more people to get involved.
To be considered for Chamber Council your company or employer must be a Chamber member. However, Council members are appointed in their individual capacity and not just on behalf your organisation, giving you the opportunity to represent the wider business community and the sector you operate in.
The chamber recruits by merit on the basis of fair and open competition. We embrace diversity and promote equal opportunities for all.
What is the level of Commitment?
- Each Council member sit for a term of office of three years.
- The Chamber Council meetings take place 6 times a year on a bi-monthly basis. Currently they are a combination of in person and online meetings, at different locations across the city region.
- Some additional meeting and events are held throughout the year and Council members are encouraged to attend.
- At times, you will be called upon to give your opinion and feedback and be a voice for Sheffield’s business community.
- To support the growth of the Chamber, Council members are asked to use their networks to support the work of the Account Managers.
How will you benefit?
- The position offers a real opportunity to be involved in an organisation that has huge aspirations for its team, membership, and the city region; and you can be part of this collaborative success.
- You will have the opportunity to help mould the future of business in Sheffield and play a pivotal role in how SCCI supports the city’s dynamic business community.
- You will be able to develop your communication, negotiation, and diplomacy skills in a Council setting.
- You will expand your networks and grow your profile across all sectors within the SCR and beyond.
Does this sound like you? Apply now
If you are interested in the role, please apply via the button below by 18th August at 12pm.
Any questions or if you would like to know more, please contact SCCI Nominations Committee Chair, Grace Brierley via email at firstname.lastname@example.org