November output figures point to stagnation in Q4 2012

11th January 2013

Manufacturing output for November 2012: -0.

3% on the month; -2.1% on the year Total industrial production: +0.3% on the month; -2.4% on the year Construction fell in November but still points to a significant increase over the third quarter  Commenting on the Index of Production statistics, published today by the ONS, David Kern, Chief Economist at the British Chambers of Commerce (BCC) said: "The manufacturing figures were disappointing, showing a small fall while most analysts predicted an increase. The small rise in total production was also weaker than expected, and the decline in the volatile construction sector is concerning. Taken together, the figures will reinforce the concern that the ONS will announce later this month a small decline in GDP, and this could be damaging to business confidence. Such an outcome is not inevitable, particularly given the relatively positive results shown by our recent survey*. The construction sector will still make a positive contribution to Q4 GDP, in spite of the fall, but overall the picture remains one of disappointing stagnation in the UK economy. -Manufacturing remains a significant sector of the UK economy, and has coped remarkably well with the challenges facing it in recent years. Whilst weak growth in world trade will limit the scope for a significant expansion in manufacturing exports, the sector remains competitive and well-managed, and has the potential to recover. Many manufacturing firms have been able to maintain their skill bases in the recession, and are now adjusting to a more difficult economic environment of low growth. But British businesses have the will and ability to make progress, if given the right backing, so the government must do more to provide firms with the confidence to drive a sustainable recovery."

You might also be interested in

Have your say on Connecting Sheffield plans

Thu 3rd December 2020

Sheffield Chamber is encouraging businesses to get involved with the Connecting Sheffield consultation.

Could the government pivot to a regional-focused SME lending programme post-CBILS?

Thu 3rd December 2020

BTG Advisory, Partner, Karl Hodson gives an update on what may be introduced after the Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme.

BCC: Government must support businesses

Thu 3rd December 2020

British Chambers of Commerce calls for the government to give businesses more evidence, support and clarity to weather Coronavirus restrictions and help power our economic recovery.

BCC responds to opening of points-based immigration system

Wed 2nd December 2020

Commenting on the opening of the government’s points-based immigration system, BCC Head of People Policy Jane Gratton said:??