Sheffield Businesses Going Global Following International Trade Conference Success

3rd July 2018

Business leaders from across the region gathered last week to promote the benefits of going global to Sheffield City Region businesses.

The Sheffield Chamber of Commerce International Trade Conference, titled 'Discover Why Exporting is Great', was held at Albion House on Wednesday 20th June and was designed to showcase the benefits of exporting. The conference and exhibition has been described as a huge success by all who attended the event, which included an expert panel discussion made up of local businesses who provide support and advice to local exporters. Delegates also heard real life experiences from some of the regions seasoned exporters including Stu Turner, Managing Director of Sushi Sushi, Neil Birchenall, Director at Appt, and Chloe Watmore, Managing Director of Thermotex Engineering. Local businesses were on hand to offer support to delegates on all things international trade, from visas to language translators, logistics, access to funding, customs & excise and much more. International Trade Manager at Sheffield Chamber of Commerce Nick Patrick said, 'this was the first dedicated International Trade Conference we have organised. One objective was to attract a cross section of industry sectors, therefore having case study companies from the Food & Drink, Tech and Manufacturing sectors provided the variety to interest all delegates. The second objective was to appeal to the new and experienced exporters alike and generate a 'this is how I did it' atmosphere but importantly the third objective was to maintain a fun, informative and interactive conference where everyone felt included and questions to the panels were free flowing.' Sam Christmas, Commercial Partnerships Manager at Sheffield Chamber of Commerce said, 'it is crucial that local businesses start to showcase their products or services on the world stage. The UK equates to less than 1% of the global population, so if businesses are selling products or services here in the UK, why not sell it to the other 99%. The international trade conference was designed to demystify the processes and steps businesses need to take to access international markets. I am delighted and thankful to organisations such as the Department for International Trade and Sheffield City Region LEP for partnering with Sheffield Chamber to make this event happen and I look forward to working with both more closely to support our local exporters'. Due to its huge success and attendance, the International Trade Conference will now become an annual event. More details for the 2019 event will be announced soon. Sheffield Chamber of Commerce are pleased to announce the launch of Showcase Sheffield on 24th October at Ponds Forge. The Chamber's annual conference and exhibition will include support and advice to novice exporters as well as meet the buyer sessions with agents from several high growth emerging markets across the globe. For more information visit https://expo.scci.org.uk/ To speak to a member of the team or register for further correspondence please contact sam.christmas@scci.org.uk or call 0114 201 8918 to register to receive correspondence.

You might also be interested in

Have your say on Connecting Sheffield plans

Thu 3rd December 2020

Sheffield Chamber is encouraging businesses to get involved with the Connecting Sheffield consultation.

Could the government pivot to a regional-focused SME lending programme post-CBILS?

Thu 3rd December 2020

BTG Advisory, Partner, Karl Hodson gives an update on what may be introduced after the Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme.

BCC: Government must support businesses

Thu 3rd December 2020

British Chambers of Commerce calls for the government to give businesses more evidence, support and clarity to weather Coronavirus restrictions and help power our economic recovery.

BCC responds to opening of points-based immigration system

Wed 2nd December 2020

Commenting on the opening of the government’s points-based immigration system, BCC Head of People Policy Jane Gratton said:??