The Sheffield College is taking effective action to tackle the pandemic, finds Ofsted report
26th November 2020
The Sheffield College is taking effective action to tackle the challenges posed by the Covid-19 pandemic, according to a new Ofsted interim visit report.
The education watchdog is carrying out interim visits after suspending routine inspections earlier this year due to the pandemic.
Ofsted’s interim visits are monitoring how colleges and schools are managing the return to full education since September 2020.
The visits also aim to help students, parents, employers and government understand how education providers are meeting the needs of learners.
Ofsted’s interim visit to the College took place on campus and remotely over two days - October 14th and 15th 2020.
Angela Foulkes, Chief Executive and Principal, The Sheffield College, said: “The pandemic’s impact on teaching and learning is like nothing we’ve seen before. Despite this, our students and staff have shown incredible resilience, adaptability and resourcefulness, and we were very proud to share that with Ofsted.”
She added: “The Sheffield College has a vital role to play in a wider skills-led recovery. We are continuing to do everything we can to support our students, staff, employers and local communities through this challenging time.”
The interim visit report notes that:
- College leaders believe they have been able to successfully tackle the challenges posed by the pandemic.
- The introduction of a pandemic continuity plan and working groups early in Spring 2020 enabled a smooth transition to remote learning.
- The College has invested heavily in computer equipment, such as laptops and wi-fi dongles, and software for students.
- Staff have developed their skills and confidence in delivering remote learning through an extensive programme of professional development. Teaching staff believe that most students are engaging well with remote learning.
- College leaders understand that students have suffered from mental health and wellbeing challenges throughout the pandemic and have provided a large amount of support; they recognise the need for continuing that support.
- The College has maintained strong relationships with employers and other partner organisations.
- Leaders recognise that the local labour market is changing. Staff are making sure that students receive appropriate support about alternative opportunities.
- The College has put in place a range of systems to ensure the safety and wellbeing of students and staff when in college buildings. Leaders are pleased with how students have adapted to the new protocols.
To read the interim visit report, published on November 20th 2020, please visit Ofsted’s website.
For more information about courses and open days at The Sheffield College, visit www.sheffcol.ac.uk or call 0114 2602600.