Visitor Economy Forum
The Forum comprises the Sport, Leisure, Tourism and Retail Sectors of Sheffield’s economy.
Our objectives are to:
- Raise awareness and understanding of the scale, value and jobs generated by the sector and its importance to the local economy.
- Demonstrate that the Visitor Economy is part of the “marketing and promotional” role of the City demonstrating all that is good about the City and its surrounding regions; how it is vital to the retention of people living in the City and providing an improved quality of life experience.
- The sectors have a major role in attracting external and international visitors to the City through its events and attractions, and in doing so generates wealth for the City, place marketing and improves perceptions of the City and the region.
- Create a forum and momentum for continuous improvement in our Visitor Economy across the City so that visitor stays and retail spend is increased across the City through sport, leisure, business and retail tourism and reduce leakage to other neighbouring cities.
- Support, sustain and create a climate for an annual sustainable major international events programme which draws global attention to world class expertise and or assets in the City and brings international visitors to the City.
- Improve the messaging, branding and look and feel of the City to make it more attractive, easily navigable and more accessible by visitors to the region connecting the region’s tourism assets, retail areas and main transport hubs to provide a seamless customer experience.
- To potentially act as an umbrella and stronger message for a range of different forums that work in this space (Sports Forum, Cultural Industries Forum; Retail Forum) and amplify the work of the sectors and the buy-in to these sectors as integral to the future of the City.
- To campaign for the development of a business conferencing and exhibition space in the City that serves the Yorkshire region and for the attraction of other investors into the City.
- To link with other relevant sector groups (eg. health and wellbeing, creative and digital) to ensure opportunities are better understood.
- To link with the University sector to seek advice and resource (eg. post and undergraduate research and projects) that could establish facts, figures and estimates around the sector and proposed projects.
Forum Chair: Alexis Krachai
Vice Chair: Grace Brierley
Telephone: 0114 201 8888